Sunday, December 4, 2011

Why Twitter Will Endure: Response

I recently read an article titled, Why Twitter Will Endure by David Carr that may have changed my mind about Twitter. On October 24, 2011 I was forced (yes forced) to open a Twitter account to use as a tool in my Writing for Business Class. I was one of many who thought, "I really don't care what Johnny is doing 24/7 and don't have time for this media. Facebook is better." Now after 41 days of experiments, Tweets, and reading this article, I am proud to say I have Twitter.

David Carr hit the nail on the head in this article when explaining Twitter through social media I do believe it is here to stay. Myspace and other social fads have missed some of the key aspects that Twitter offers. Twitter eliminates useless web surfing time and can be categorizes through handy hashtags. Twitter allows business, brands, and developers to figure out what their target customer is looking for and how to tap into other niche markets. Users can follow their mentors, idols, and hobbies. Business updates, fashion tips, Kardashian gossip, and breaking news are at any Twitter user's fingertips within seconds of occurring. Carr's innocent Tweet on a popular airline served him with excellent customer service on the airline within minutes.

David Carr describes Twitter best to newcomers when he said, "At first, Twitter can be overwhelming, but think of it as a river of data rushing past that I dip a cup into every once in a while. Much of what I need to know is in that cup: if it looks like Apple is going to demo its new tablet, or Amazon sold more Kindles than actual books at Christmas, or the final vote in the Senate gets locked in on health care, I almost always learn about it first on Twitter."

This social media tool should be used to its full capacity. While writing this article I have checked my Twitter account at least twice. Following friends and role models gives me inspiration to dig deeper into other topics, while some give me a little laugh to brighten my day. David Carr's article has me convinced. Now try it out for yourself!

1 comment: